Julia Kuan Interviewed on ABC News About Innocent Bronx Female Client Who Served 7 Years Behind Bars

Woman exonerated after 7 years behind bars – ABC News

NEW YORK (WABC) — Malisha Blyden had never seen the person she was convicted of trying to kill.

Because of a misdialed phone number, she was convicted and sentenced to 40 years behind bars.

Now, Blyden has been exonerated, talk about justice long denied.

“If you’re innocent don’t give up, just keep fighting!” said Malisha Blyden, wrongfully convicted.

Malisha Blyden was innocent from the very beginning.

She and her girlfriend were taken into custody by transit officers in Union Square who accused them of playing loud music.

Officers quickly learned that Malisha’s girlfriend was wanted for questioning in connection with an unsolved home invasion in the Bronx.

Apparently Malisha’s girlfriend’s father’s cellphone number was found in the phone records of the victim of the home invasion.

Since Bronx detectives were looking for two female accomplices, they thought they’d solved the case.

“I told them over and over again that it wasn’t me,” Blyden said.

But Malisha was arrested and charged with robbery and attempted murder after her girlfriend inexplicably confessed to the crime.

Witnesses later identified Malisha after being shown a single photograph and not a lineup.

“There was no forensic evidence, no fingerprint evidence,” said Julia Kuan, Malisha’s attorney.

Civil rights attorney Julia Kuan says it’s outrageous.

“These detectives gave this information, fed this information to these witnesses,” Kuan said, “They just cared about closing a case and they broke every rule in the book to do so.”

Malisha was convicted and sentenced to 40 years in prison. She was released last month after serving just over seven years.

Malisha’s legal team had located the actual suspects who later confessed.

“I didn’t know how long it was going to take, but I knew I was going home. I had faith, I never gave up, because I didn’t do it, I’m innocent,” Blyden said.